Friday, August 20, 2010

Nail Technician/ Working from home/ Illegal?

Is it illegal to be working from home as a nail technician? I plan on going to school to become a nail technician. I would like to start a small Business at home.





I do understand the risks. I know I will need insurance, and a few other things. Although I am really confused about a few things. Is it really illegal just to have friends who come by to get their nails done by me and get paid for it?





IF I decided to branch out to more clients would I have to establish an LLC. And when filing taxes, how would that go about? Any tips would be great. I just like to be prepared ahead of time to know what to expect and to start saving.





This is something I am very interested in but I would like the advice of other small Business owners.





Thank You!Nail Technician/ Working from home/ Illegal?
In some states you can work from home. I would have some concerns about safety. Most states want you to be in a location and not in your home. You may want to check with the board of cosmetology. You need to think about the chemicals you will need to have especially if there are small children in the household. Some of the chemicals you will be using are dangerous if ingested by children. Keep a number for the center of poison control if you decide to start this business at home. Some of your clients may bring their children with them. I would recommend getting a small shop. If you shop around you can find one relatively cheap. If money is an issue try to save some money from the services you provide and put it towards getting a shop. Another thing you could do is rent booths out to other nail techs in order to cut down on your overhead. Good luck.Nail Technician/ Working from home/ Illegal?
It depends on the zoning where you live - many places it would be illegal.





No you don't have to turn it into an LLC if you start serving other people than just friends.





For taxes, for federal you'd need form 1040 and schedules C and SE, if you take in $400 a year or more. Depending on where you live, you could owe state and local income tax also
My first concern would be with the zoning laws in your neighborhood. Running a business out of your home with a certain amount of foot traffic in and out could be cause for concern.
  • makeup
  • bloom-
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment