Sunday, August 22, 2010

Asian nail technicians talking (in their native language) throughout the salon procedure?

It irritates me (to no end) when they start talking to each other in their language. So, I've started asking them to speak English while they are working on my hands/feet! Does anyone else in Yahoo-land want to weigh in on this issue? What do YOU do?Asian nail technicians talking (in their native language) throughout the salon procedure?
Talking in a foreign language around others that cannot understand it (especially around customers) is as rude as whispering secrets in public. If you don't want others to hear what you are saying, then don't say it until you can do so in private.Asian nail technicians talking (in their native language) throughout the salon procedure?
It's not rude to communicate with others who speak the same language that you do. It's rude to claim that no one should be allowed to speak a language that you personally don't understand. Who's being the intolerant one here? Try to get out of your box once in a while, will you?

Report Abuse



From a majority of the response posts (including the asker's), I understand that the consensus is that chatting away in a foreign language in front of those that don't speak it, is considered rude.





I can also understand that most Asian languages are not particularly pleasant for the Western ear to hear.





None-the-less, although it IS considered rude in most Western societies, this behaviour is NOT considered rude in Asian ones. I believe it is not their intention to be rude; however they are simply not aware of the fact that may irritate a customer.





In a similar situation, I've just mentioned that as the time I spend doing my nails is one of the few moments I get to myself, I would appreciate a bit of quiet! It has worked for me.





Having said this, you cannot silence the whole salon so if it continues to irritates you (to no end), I suggest you take your business to one of those nice English-speaking nail salons that charge you three times the price of what the Asian ones do... you'll be able to listen to the English chatter AND get landed with a nice bill at the end of it.
I think they should be allowed to speak in their native language. If you were them in their country, wouldn't you like to speak to someone you know in English sometimes?





I think that in general, people are insecure about what other people are saying, and so when people speak in other languages, they automatically go on the defensive because they don't know if it's about them or not.
I agree with Kitana. They are talking in that language because it is easier for them to speak their native language to each other. If you and someone you know both spoke two languages, one that you were each very comfortable in and one that you were both not very comfortable in, which would you choose? I lived in Mexico for about two months a few years ago, and believe me, listening to and speaking Spanish all the time made me tired! Speaking English (my native language) felt like a break.





I also agree with Kitana that they are probably not talking about you. Maybe you're worried because of that Seinfeld episode...
You're being paranoid. Why should they work in absolute silence just because you're uncomfortable with it? If you don't like it, go to another shop. Of simply suck it up and realize that they probably have better things to talk about than you, so it's really none of your business.
hi, i am a caucasian manicurist in california. and i have to say that i have lost of clients that also find it irritating and because of it they are willing to spend more money for a quality service and the ability to talk to me because I SPEAK ENGLISH. what is even more troubling is that the beauty schools in the los angeles area are now teaching manicuring classes ONLY in vietnamese. no classes in english. now i am not saying that there are no good manicurist that are vietnamese, but i understand your complaint.
I totally agree with you. I think it's disrespectful.


I think they're talking about customers feet.





But on the other hand, I have been told that they only do it because it's more comfortable and they can pronounce words better in their native language.
I do not tip anyone rude enough to do that to me - then I explain why - - I go to the same place every time and now all the nail techs know not to be so rude and they will recieve a tip from me.





Money is the universal language!
I hate that cause they will point to you and laugh.


Where I live all the nail people are Vietnamese


and my friend and I went there, my friend is part


Vietnamese and her dad doesn't speak English


so she was brought up to speak the Vietnamese


language. After the people like were talking for a while


she started talking to them in it and they were blushing.


When we left she was like they said you are kind of fat


and they said that I look like a mutt, and what a disgrace


to Vietnam people.
I understand your problem! Everytime I go to get my nails and feet done they start speaking in their language and I notice that sometimes they look at me when they are talking like they are talking about me! It makes me feel very uncomfy so I quit going to the salon and started going to another with english speaking workers! everytime I would go I would feel so uncomfy the whole time that I could not even relax and enjoy my pedicure or manicure! I think that it is very unprofessional to do that! Plus they are so rude because a few times I KNOW for a fact that they were making fun of this woman that was there! They were talking in their language but looking at her and making faces behind her back the whole time and mkaing gestures with their hands about her rear end! it si horrible and I hate going in there!
I just read a book and let them do what they do best. I am sure that if you are being polite to them, they aren't talking about you. If they are talking about you, so what. Bring your Ipod, and a good book...you won't care as much :-)
I agree with you. I would speak to the salon manager and explain how rude and offensive it is to you. Ask if the manager can do something to prevent it or simply state you will find another salon.
Let them talk.





I get very ';fat white american'; when I have a pedicure... bring in champagne and chocolates... chit chat with my friends...





This person is cleaning your feet, for crying out loud, let him/her be!!!
  • makeup
  • gas mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment