Friday, August 20, 2010

As a new nail technician what should I look for in a salon who would hire me?

I need some advice. I have two job offers from salons who are willing to work with me as their nail technician. I do not want to give out names so i will say salon A and salon B. I have looked at reviews for both places, salon A'; has all good reviews, and salon B'; has all bad reviews. I had an interview with the owner of the Salon B, and she didnt make me feel very confident in what i am doing, her salon seems very disorganized, but there is parking and she is going to pay me hourly to start off and provide me with some clientel, and then once i get more clients she would give me commission and supply me.


Salon A';, the first interview I had with the lady, she made me feel very comfortable, she is very nice and she is offering to teach me how to air brush and work with me along the way. And to continue to educate me in nails. The place is very nice, good prices, and seems to be very clean and orderly. The only down fall is that i would have to find parking on a side street because i cant feed the meters. And she is going to pay me commision i get 60% she also said once i get more clients she'll pay me hourly to. And i would have to suppply myself.


Salon B'; seems a little more promising financially speaking, but i just dont have a good feeling about the place, and a lot of people don't like the salon.


I had a second interview with the lady from Salon A'; today, and she basically gave me the job, I did a set of acrylics on my cousin and she liked my work. So I want to goto Salon A';, just because I have a good feeling about it, and I really like it there, and nail art seems to be more popular there, which is something I am really into. But I wanted to get a second opinon from someone who knows this business, and who has been in my shoes once before. What is your opinion?As a new nail technician what should I look for in a salon who would hire me?
That is definitely a very tough decision. Personally, after working some pretty terrible jobs for terrible companies, I will never work for a company I have a bad feeling about again. Salon B seems like an obviously bad choice.





I think parking is really not a big enough issue to worry about at Salon A. The only one worth worrying about is the money. I think it is totally feasible to make money just as well there. You just have to market yourself in order to be successful. You will learn so much as you try to build your clientele, and make them happy enough to keep coming back and refer their friends to you. Don't be afraid to ask them to tell their friends. Make business cards, have specials/sales to bring in new business, place ads, network on the web, get friends and family to come in, etc. Start building that clientele right away.As a new nail technician what should I look for in a salon who would hire me?
If you're unhappy on your job no matter if the money is better, it'll affect your outside life. Choose the one that you think that will offer you the most experience without the need for stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment