Friday, August 20, 2010

I want to become a nail technician?

My hair stylist lady told me about a school that you go to when your a junior/senior in high school. You go to high school during the day, then go to this school during the evening and you graduate high school, your a licensed nail technician..


I wanted to look it up because i was thinking about doing that.


But i cant remember the name of the school..


its like vortex or vortec or something like that..








I really wanna eventually open my own like beauty parlor thing.


I've wanted to be a nail technician for a long time and I'm only 15 and have been offered a job somewhere.


but ive also been thinking about getting into massage therapy and makeup and hair.


So going to this school would let me get kinda a head start.


I'm also going to a school that lets me graduate high school with my AA degree.





So my question is:


Do you know what the name of that school is?


and do you think this is a good like career plan for me?I want to become a nail technician?
she may have said vo-tech which is just a term for any vocational school. you may want to do some research first. every state has their own laws governing the beauty industry but i'm pretty sure that each state requires a person to be a highschool graduate in order to even be allowed to enroll in any of the beauty fields (cosmetology, skin care, nail tech and massage therapy). so before you even look at the school, look up the state laws for your state.





if you want to eventually open a salon, you may want to consider cosmetology. that license will allow you to practice hair, skin and nails. massage would have to be separate. also certain state laws will also dictate who can manage a salon. for example, in NJ anyone can own a salon, but only a licensed cosmetologist with at least 5 years experience can manage a salon.





as for whether this is the right career plan, only you can answer that. I have an BS in Hospitality Manage,emt and business Administration, but after 10+ years in coorporate america, i switched gears and I am now a licensed esthetician, nail technician and massage therapist. i absolutely love it, but that's just me. next time you're out at a salon or spa, ask your technician what they love most about their job and what they like the least. this may help you make a decision.





On that note, here are mine: i love that everyday is a different day at work and working in an upscale spa has allowed me to give the legendary Aretha Franklin a mani and pedi!!! what i dislike about my job is when it's slow or I'm not getting paid (since I am a commission paid employee).





Hope this helps and good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment